Luis Acle, John de Beck, Shelia Jackson, Mitz Lee and Katherine Nakamura present.
The board made the following appointments/reassignments 5-0, with effective dates to be determined:
Kissel, Ryan – from Teacher to Vice Principal, Emerson-Bandini Elementary School.
Lavine, Daniel – from Teacher to Program Manager, Science Department.
Major agenda items:
The Board voted 5-0 to:
- Adopt a Memoranda of Understanding between the San Diego Unified School District and California School Employees Association’s (CSEA) Chapter 788 - Office-Technical Business Services (OTBS), Chapter 759 – Paraeducators, and Chapter 724 – Operations-Support Services (OSS), and San Diego City Schools Police Officers Association (POA) regarding implementation of dental plans.
- Adopt a Memoranda of Understanding between the San Diego Unified School District and California School Employees Association’s (CSEA) Chapter 788 - Office-Technical Business Services (OTBS), Chapter 759 – Paraeducators, and Chapter 724 – Operations-Support Services (OSS) regarding changes to Classified Catastrophic Leave Bank.
- Adopt the District’s initial proposal and response to the San Diego City Schools Police Officers Association’s (POA) initial proposal requesting changes in wages, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment.
- Accept evaluations of schools participating in the Immediate Intervention/Underperforming Schools Program (II/USP), High Priority Schools Grant Program (HPSGP), or Comprehensive School Reform (CSR) program during 2006-07.
- Approve a Request for Allowance of Attendance Because of Emergency Conditions, San Diego County fires, October 22-29, 2007
- Adopt the Community Advisory Committee for Special Education (CACSE) Constitution and Bylaws to reach compliance with California Department of Education (CDE) Corrective Action in Case No. S-0861-05/06
- Set the 2007-08 organizational meeting of the Board of Education for 3 p.m., December 11, 2007 in the auditorium of the Eugene Brucker Education Center, 4100 Normal Street, San Diego, California.
- Approve the recommendation for the 2008-09 school year calendar and associated single-track, year-round calendar.
The Board voted 4-1 with Nakamura in opposition to:
- Adopt a resolution regarding sufficiency of textbooks or instructional materials for the 2007-08 school year pursuant to Education Code Section 60119.
- Adopt a resolution in the matter of Provision of Standards-Aligned Instructional Materials for the 2007-08 school year pursuant to Education Code Section 60422(a).
- Adopt a resolution in the Matter of Distribution of the 2007-08 California Arts and Music Block Grant Funding.
Recognition and Presentations:
The Board voted 5-0 to approve:
- Recognition of Office Depot Foundation and Lakeshore Learning Materials for their immediate response to the District and San Diego Education Association request for school supplies for children evacuated from their homes due to the San Diego County 2007 Wildfires.
- Recognition of New Partners to the Partnerships in Education Program.
- Presentation of the 2007 Board President’s Scholarships to Elisabeth Sriwarodom and Richard Ojeda.
- Recognition of November 12-18, 2007, as National Children’s Book Week.
- Resolution in the Matter of Support for the Community Service Association (CSA) Annual Membership Campaign, November 7-30, 2007.
- Recognition of December 1, 2007, as World AIDS Day.
Presentation of colors: Patrick Henry High School