Luis Acle, John de Beck, Shelia Jackson, Mitz Lee and Katherine Nakamura present.
The board made the following appointments/reassignments 5-0, with effective dates to be determined:
Podhorsky, Dr. Charles – from Interim Principal, Hoover High School, to Principal, Hoover High School.
Vera, Elba – from Assistant Principal, Oak Valley Middle School, Poway Unified School District, to Vice Principal, Hoover High School.
Klein, Harlan – from Principal, Toler Elementary, to Principal, Innovation Middle School.
Bagula, Fabiola – from Vice-Principal, Balboa Elementary School, to Principal, Balboa Elementary School.
The board made the following appointments/reassignments 4-1, with effective dates to be determined:
Caballero, Edward – from Administrator, Office of Parent, Community and Student Engagement, to Principal, Sherman Elementary.
Major agenda items:
The Board voted 5-0 to:
- Receive annual financial statements for fiscal year 2006-07, presented by external auditor Vicenti, Lloyd & Stutzman.
The Board voted 4-1 with Jackson in opposition to:
- Approve revisions to Grade 8 promotion/retention policy.
The Board voted 4-0 with De Beck absent to:
- Consider at its January, 2008, meeting, changes to Board Policies F-2600 and H-3500, and Administrative Procedures 4255 and 6156 regarding parental notification and early release of students to obtain confidential medical services.
- Approve Provisional Internship Permits for teacher assignment to severe shortage area.
- Adopt Memoranda of Understanding between the San Diego Unified School District and:
- San Diego Education Association (SDEA)
- California School Employees Association (CSEA) Office-Technical Business Services (OTBS), Chapter 788
- California School Employees Association (CSEA) Paraeducators, Chapter 759
- California School Employees Association (CSEA) Operations-Support Services (OSS), Chapter 724
- San Diego City Schools Police Officers Association (POA) regarding disaster relief leave and additional personal necessity leave for employees adversely affected by the 2007 San Diego County fires
- San Diego Education Association (SDEA), as a result of the San Diego County wildfires of 2007, providing long-term visiting teachers pay for visiting teachers and Child Development Center visiting teachers extending the excessing process certificated evaluations timelines due to the District’s closure.
- Adopt a tentative agreement with the San Diego Education (SDEA), as the exclusive representative of the Certificated Bargaining Unit, for the 2007-08 reopener negotiations of Article 7 – Wages and Article 9 – Health and Welfare.
- Accept the School Assistance and Intervention Team (SAIT) Third Progress Reports for Marshall Elementary School, Mann School of Expedition, and Roosevelt Middle School.
- Appoint Meghann Hughes to the Community Advisory Committee for Special Education.
- Reappoint Leon Brooks and Jesus Garcia to the Independent Citizens Oversight Committee (ICOC) for a three-year period ending December 2010.
The Board voted 3-1 with Acle in opposition and De Beck absent to:
- Certification of the Fiscal Year 2007-08 First Interim Financial Report in compliance with Education Code Section 42130.
Annual Meeting of the Board of Education
- The board voted 5-0 to readopt the Bylaws of the Board of Education
- The board conducted elections of officers for the Board of Education. Katherine Nakamura was elected President and John De Beck was elected Vice President.
Recognition and Presentations:
The Board voted 5-0 to approve:
- Resolution in the Matter of Recognition of January 15, 2008, as the Birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Presentation of colors: Madison High School Junior ROTC.