San Diego Unified School District logo
Board Actions
for February 12, 2008

Luis Acle, John de Beck, Shelia Jackson, Mitz Lee and Katherine Nakamura present.

View the associated board reports.

The board made the following appointments/reassignments 4-0 (de Beck absent), with effective dates to be determined:

Gonzalez, Georgina, from Teacher, Kimbrough Elementary School, to, Vice Principal, Balboa Elementary School.

Major agenda items:

The Board voted 4-1 to approve, with Acle in Opposition:

• Option A of the 2008-09 Plan for Title I Eligibility Ranking and Participation

The Board voted 4-0 with de Beck absent to approve:

• Amend the employment contract for District Superintendent of San Diego Unified, Dr. Terry Grier, to commence on March 24, 2008.
  • Adopt the Tentative Agreement between the San Diego Unified School District and the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 724 – Operations-Support Services (OSS).
  • Accepted a report prepared by Dr. Thomas Hehir, “Recommendations Document, Improving Educational Outcomes for Student with Disabilities in San Diego.” Staff recommendations were revised.

2008-09 Plan for Title I Eligibility Ranking and Participation

• A motion to approve the staff recomendations was defeated, 3-2, with Acle and Jackson in favor, and de Beck, Lee and Nakamura in opposition.
  • A motion requesting that staff bring back to the next meeting information on how Title I funds are spent at each school, as well as other information, was approved 3-2, with de Beck, Lee and Nakamura in favor, and Acle and Jackson in opposition.

The Board voted 3-1 to approve, with de Beck absent, Acle in Opposition:

• 2007-08 Annual Budget Plan and Annual Service Plan for the Local Plan for Special Education.

Recognition and Presentations:

Presentation of colors: Hoover High School Junior ROTC.