Luis Acle, John de Beck, Shelia Jackson, Mitz Lee and Katherine Nakamura present.
The board made the following appointments/reassignments, with effective dates to be determined:
Griffith, Helen – From Vice Principal, Lincoln High School, to Principal, Millennial Tech Middle School, effective date to be determined.
Major agenda items:
The Board voted 5-0 to approve:
- Boundary Adjustments For Scripps Ranch Area, 2008-09, selecting Scenario E
- Renewal for Charter Petition for Charter School of San Diego
- La Jolla High School Adoption of Textbooks and Instructional Materials for 2008-09 School Year
The Board voted 4-1, with Acle in opposition, to approve:
- A motion to accept the Superintendent’s recommendation to restore the following positions: 76 counselors, 102 high school English teachers and 15 librarians
The Board voted 3-2, with de Beck and Jackson in opposition, to approve:
- Conditionally approved the Charter Petition for Urban Discovery Academy. The approval is conditional upon the school raising $100,000 by July 15th.
The Board voted 3-2, with Acle and Jackson in opposition, to approve:
- Final Board of Education decision and approval of termination of permanent certificated employee services. Under the resolution, 617 certificated employees will receive notices that they will not be offered contracts for the 2008-09 school year because of state funding reductions.
The Board Voted 5-0 to table:
- Proposed restructuring plans for eight District schools in Program Improvement Year 4 status and revised restructuring plan for one school in Program Improvement Year 7. The Superintendent will return to the Board with refined budget information for the Board.
Recognition and Presentations:Presentation of colors: Kearny High School Junior ROTC.