San Diego Unified School District logo
Board Actions
for February 10, 2009

Richard Barrera, John De Beck, John Lee Evans, Shelia Jackson and Katherine Nakamura were present.

The board made the following appointments/reassignments, with effective dates to be determined:

Susan Martinez, from Program Manager, Special Education, to Executive Director, Special Education.

Joe Fulcher, from Program Manager, Riley School to Director, Special Education.

Donald Mitchell, from Principal, Invention & Design Educational Academy (IDEA), Crawford, to Director, Advanced Placement Incentive Grant II (API 2 Grant).

View the associated board reports.

Major agenda items:

The Board voted to approve the following items:

• E.02. Authorize Allowance of Physical Education (P.E.) Credit for JROTC and Marching Band.
  • F.01. Operational Expectations Monitoring Report OE-6 Financial Administration.
  • F.02. Operational Expectations Monitoring Report OE-10, Instructional Program.
  • I.02. Affirmation of board direction to freeze all district spending for the remainder of 2008-09, using both restricted and unrestricted funds, unless authorized by the superintendent.
  • I.03. Resolution eliminating marksmanship training from San Diego Unified School District.
  • 1.04. Policy on district-mandated tests will be developed by the Superintendent.
  • I.05. Directed staff to create a lobbyist disclosure process.
  • I.07. Resolution recognizing Pete Seeger, American Folk Singer/Songwriter.
  • I.08. Direction to Superintendent on Implementation of new Title I funding guidelines. Board approved Scenario 2 from the January 26 meeting: elementary, middle and high schools with poverty levels of 40-100 percent will receive Title I funding; no funding tiers; per pupil allocation of $343 is the same for all levels. In addition, staff will meet with the Site Governance Teams and community members to provide input on an equitable distribution for Title I funds.

Presentation of Colors:
Scripps Ranch Air Force JROTC.

Student presentation:
Model United Nations, Scripps Ranch High School.